Sunday, January 23, 2011

Repenting

Now that I've been at this "Mom" thing for a few more months, I feel the need to get a few (more?) things off of my (diminishing) chest.

Things that I regret ever passing judgement on:

The toddler-sized baby in the infant car seat.
I get it, now. For the most part, they only look toddler-sized because they are stuffed into the car seat. And when your baby is a week old the seat seems gigantic but by 6 months it seems like it's made for dolls. You cannot ever comprehend this until you actually have a baby of your own who is at least six months of age. And the fact that some are rated to 30 pounds means that you might as well stuff your toddler into one if a) the kid is still short enough and b) your arms are strong enough. I thought that I couldn't wait until I didn't have to lug one around any more, and now I miss the days of wrangling with the straps inside the warm comfort of my own home instead of a freezing cold backseat. And not feeling like life is futile when it takes longer to get the baby in and out of the car than it does actually inside the store COMBINED with how long it took to drive there. And not having to sit in an idling car for over 45 minutes while someone finishes their nap. If Bug wasn't too tall, I'd probably admit that I was wrong and go back to the old one.

Chlorine-free diapers.
I believe I've written before about how bad I felt making snide comments about friends of Matt's who used chlorine-free diapers ("granola"). And I still feel bad. Because without those damn things my child would have a bottom redder than a stop sign. Also, via my husband's obsession with Amazon, they actually cost less than purchasing other brands at the store. To each their own, including the Earth mama diapers.

The existence of overnight diapers.
When I first saw these at the store I thought they were for people who were just too lazy to change their baby if they woke up in the middle of the night. Or for the people who were too in a hurry to actually stop the car to change the diaper ("great for travel, too!" it says on the box). Well, I was wrong in both instances. Because after moving to belly sleeping and waking each morning soaking wet I realized that they do have a purpose, and you're not neglecting your child if you use them. Also, no one really wants to spend 7 hours on a car trip that is supposed to only take 5. So go ahead, use them. Now if only they made them in chlorine-free.

People who cover every wall of their house with pictures of their children.
I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I'm not sure our camera knows how to take a picture of anything other than Bug's face. So I guess I'm not totally excusing this one (practice restraint?) but I understand how it might be the only material you have to work with.

Actually using the cart wipes at Target.
For a while I thought the addition of these at the front of the store was a hair on the obnoxious side. A little bit of, "we never used those and I survived" and "just get a flu shot." Except I do use them, now. Because until you've watched your child, say, attempt to lick every square inch of her surroundings, or rub their pacifier all over said surroundings before immediately placing it back in their mouth, you won't understand why anyone would have a need to use cart wipes.

Pushing an empty stroller while wearing your child in a Baby Bjorn.
Because the baby runs the show, and what makes Baby happy makes Mama happy. And Baby Bjorn's lack pockets.

Speaking of strollers, using a BOB Stroller for something other than running.
This always bothered me when I was pregnant and would dream about eventually owning one. And now I do, and let me say that the low friction of this beauty of engineering makes pushing the regular stroller feel like shoving an anvil through molasses (AND you can actually push it through snow). I don't actually use it all that often at the mall because a) I find it cumbersome to get in and out of the car and b) it lacks a lot of 'cargo' space, but like I said, I understand the appeal. Except if you look like you wouldn't know what a running shoe was if it kicked you in the face. Then I'm still allowed to pass judgement. Spend $500 on something else.

Feeling relieved about handing the child off at day care in the morning and/or going to work.
This has happened to me only once, but I'm sure it's not the last time. And I'm totally lying when I say it has only happened once.

2 comments:

  1. My child will be the midget that fits in the infant seat to 30 pounds. But if I remember correctly, my stats would have had me in a booster seat in 8th grade. Thank god my parents never paid attention to that.

    I know people who have put maxi pads inside of diapers to prevent nighttime leaks. I don't know if this works but I know it's been tried.

    Anyone who hasn't had the last one happen is lying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. I agree, though I still feel things and say, "But it's OK when I do it." Pretty soon you'll have a whole new list of behavioral things. I'm realizing those every day. "Why doesn't she just ____ and the kid would stop?" Nope. I hope I sounded good and condescending just now. No, I have so many of those too. Like, "Why would you EVER give a kid juice when they can have water?" Uh.. Or candy or dessert. WHY even introduce that? Uh... Or taking your kids to friends' houses and putting them to bed in a back room, then taking them home later. Uh.. Only did that a few times, but I did do it. And now I've taken over your blog.

    ReplyDelete