Hey OshKosh, do you make this is adult sizes?

The little monster is 11 months old already. How the hell did that happen?
My latest I Am A Horrible Mom centers around her eating and the obscene number of baby food jars that I just purchased at Target. I know, I know. I could make her food myself! But I have yet to find the motivation and/or the time. I have attempted a few things, and to me they just seem wasteful and/or diet-sabotaging.
Someone suggested canned peas/carrots. She ate about 12 of them, I then ate a few dozen, and then I threw the rest away. We tried noodles. I thought elbows might be a good choice. The first time I tried making them I didn't cook them long enough but didn't decide this until after I had strained them and poured cold water on them. So I ate them. The second time I did cook them long enough (until there was seriously no water left in the pan) but after I almost choked eating one, I decided that elbows were not a good choice. So I ate them. She does eat mini frozen waffles, although two of the four always somehow end up in my stomach. I detest whole bananas which is unfortunate because that's probably the least caloric thing that she eats -- and therefore those do not end up in my stomach.
She's still not allowed any dairy products which is cramping my style. Although I cannot decide if I have made that into an excuse or if it is a legitimate excuse. I cannot feed her yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese or anything with butter. Can I tell you how many Organic Baby Food recipes in my How to Cook Everything Organic Baby and Toddler have butter in them? A lot.
I'm struggling to come up with other 'finger foods.' I'd like to feed her just part of our dinner, but the allergies wig me out. I didn't spend almost 100K at Children's Hospital (and the subsequent crazy infant formula) and a harrowing ten minutes with the Target Pharmacist while they explained to me how to use an EpiPen (and how I shouldn't worry about stabbing her because she would 'BE UNCONSCIOUS') for me to ignore the doctor's suggestions. So she just eats obnoxious quantities of jarred food.
And then I'm worried it's not obnoxious ENOUGH. She only drinks 12 oz of formula a day (I think the recommendation is like 16-24 oz) and then on some days she doesn't eat dinner (today). Maybe I just have a little bird of an eater? I don't want to impose my food obsessions on her, but I feel like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
For my birthday I signed up for a writing class for moms, and I'm so behind it's embarrassing. We have a lot of things to do around here. Like get our house ready to be put on the market in 10 days. My contribution is sitting here on my ass trying to ignore the bag of M&Ms in my purse, whining to the Internet.
Dairyless finger food ideas:
ReplyDeleteVeggie burgers (our newest find, so easy)
Pasta (I cut up basically any shape)
Edemame (how is that spelled?)
Veggies (broccoli flowers and aspargus are favs)
Diced fruits (ripe pears are super easy)
Pita and hummus
Toast (we do butter but not necessary)
Scrambled egg (is that allowed?)
I can't think of what else we do without dairy... J still does purees too. She loves them.
Ooh good ones. Unfortunately we are also banned from soy, so we'll have to wait on a few. Do you boil the pears? I cannot find a ripe, soft one to save my life.
ReplyDeleteI've made chicken soup (or premade broth if you're not a soup maker) with some or all of the following: little ring noodles (not sure of the "real" name), potatoes, broccoli, carrots, canned green beans, canned corn, small pieces of chicken. Everything gets boiled and soft and we pick out the veggies to eat by hand, then try to sneak in a few spoon-fulls of the broth while she's not paying attention :)
ReplyDelete