Thursday, August 2, 2012

MTV was on to something

I'm getting kind of sick of the time issues with the Olympics.  Living on the West Coast already provides some prime-time issues; the three episodes I watched of American Idol (mainly because the local news was falling over itself about the "hometown girl") I already knew what happened, because it was broadcast on the East Coast hours earlier.  And don't even get me started on the Oscars, that happened here, but still had to wait hours to watch.

So now it happens at whatever time overseas, the results are everywhere, and I STILL have to wait HOURS until NBC shows whatever part they've decided to edit into the broadcast.  It doesn't start until 8:00 here, and runs well past midnight.  I have missed most of the women's gymnastics (why can't we just call it girl's gymnastics, because that's really what it is?) because I'm passed out on the couch, drooling, by 9:45.

We went up to Orange County today for her appointment.  Even though it was scheduled at 8:30, we didn't get called back until almost 9.  And we had been waiting since 8 a.m., since we arrived early (in the hopes that they would all be on time).  Argh!  Somehow they missed the memo that we weren't there for regular ophthalmic care.  The doctor walked in and told us that he wasn't the right doctor to see Bug, and he would have someone else see her.  I was so confused.  Then he asked us Kindergarten-level questions about if anyone had ever "looked in her eyes with lights" or after she had had eye drops.  I almost didn't know how to answer.  Really?  Because me telling you that she has been diagnosed with A, B and C was just something I looked up on Wikipedia in my spare time?  I stumbled out something, but then he left.

He came back, and I tried to explain to him that she has been seen by many ophthalmologists, and that we were here to get his opinion from a neuro-ophthalmic perspective.  Ah, he said.  I will see her.

In the end it was rather uneventful.  He semi-chastised us for not just seeing Dr. So and So down in San Diego.  I explained to him in the series of events it happened that our appointment with him was booked before we had connected with the clinic closer to us.  So we will follow-up down here.  I still don't see the big deal about driving an hour and a half to a doctor.  I wouldn't have thought twice about driving to Mayo when we lived in Minneapolis.  Whatever.

We took the PCH back home.  Umm, I understand now why people live in Laguna Beach.  I don't know how to describe it, other than it's amazingly beautiful.  We didn't stop (our end goal was Dana Point, and our 2-year-old ticking time bomb couldn't afford any additional stops) but I took this awesomely tourist picture from the car:


It's not much, but it was all I could muster.  Also, driving into Dana Point was breathtaking:


It's unfortunately hard to see in this photo, but there are mountains there in the background, and then there's the ocean (of course) and it's gorgeous.

Bug announced to the patio of women talking about their plastic surgery and ex-husbands (and daughter's ex-husbands, and no, I'm not kidding) that she was pooping, and then pooped, and then we were ready to eat.  

Tonight we walked up to Balboa again to listen to another concert at the Organ Pavilion.  It was a Chicago Blues band, and they were quite amazing.  

"I not like this part.  'Nother one."

Not even string cheese can get
in the way of a good applause.

I just wish so so so so sooooo much she
hadn't moved, and this was more in focus.

------------------------

Oh, and in lieu of sending out a photo email, because I'm still convinced I annoy people with them, I will share these ones from the playtime at school earlier this week.

Someone's been with me in the car too much:

Did you just see that?
Did you just see how she cut me off?!

FFFFFFForking bad driver!

I am going to be so late, again.  

Why do I even try and take the 8?
It's never, ever a good idea.  Ever.  

The swings are much less stressful.

I need my mouth to be bigger, Mom.

More, please.
OK, time for me to watch Michael Phelps win.  I mean, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment