Friday, March 5, 2010

Puffy/35 weeks

Holy crap. If week 35 is over, that means we are in week 36, and officially in Month Nine. That is so crazy.

I had some weird vision thing on Wednesday (which could have totally just been related to stress, but one can never be so sure) so I ended up going into the doctor to have my blood pressure checked. Everything turned out fine, but while I was there the nurse said that at this point if I went into labor they would probably not stop me. Not sure that that has sunken in yet.

Next week starts my weekly appointments and weekly progress checks. I have extremely low expectations (i.e. everything will probably still be on lock down) so that IF anything has progressed, even by a miniscule amount, I will be excited.

All of a sudden yesterday while I was in the bathroom I, for the first time ever, become monumentally freaked out by the idea that there is a baby inside of me. I have no idea why this just occurred to me now, or why now, at this point, so close to the end it would start to seem weird. I told Matthew and his response was he has actually been getting "less weirded out by that as we get closer." Which means that at one point (still is?) he was weirded out about it. It was so nice of you to never have shared that with me before.

I continue to be miffed by this weight gain situation. I probably eat less now than I have ever in the recent past, yet I continue to gain. The nurse says it's just fluids (and seriously, I drink the fluids. Some comes out, but not NEARLY as much as I put in). She told me that my legs, at 35 weeks pregnant, are "still more shapely than [hers] are normally." I was, of course, flattered by this, but still somewhat discouraged at total poundage.

I started reading those "Girlfriend's Guide to _____" books (there's a pregnancy one, a baby gear one, and a first year of motherhood one). And while I find them to be funny, I am extremely put off by her statement of "when you leave the hospital you will still be fat." I don't know that I consider myself fat right now... more just eight months pregnant. I'm sure there will be an adjustment when there is not a baby making your belly round and tight, but... I don't know. Everyone is assuring me that it will come off quickly. We'll see. (I think I was also somewhat bothered by the fact that Author was saying that she went from 112 pounds to 150 pounds, as if that's a lot, when I started pregnancy weighing 155 pounds. Granted, I'm probably six inches taller than Author (or I'd like to believe that I am), but still. Matt's response is, of course, "well then stop reading the books if they bother you," but that just makes too much sense.)

Dear Magic Gods of Running,

When I'm recovered from birthing Bug, could you maybe fast-forward me past those four weeks of hell when you start over and running 1 mile seems like 5, and 3 miles seems like 18?

kthanxbye,
Emily

Yesterday was the first time I experienced Serious Swelling. My rings already no longer fit on my hands without leaving marks (I abandoned wedding rings a long time ago and was wearing engagement ring that was always "sort of big" but now that leaves a mark, too) but it didn't attack my feet until yesterday.

I wore my Uggs into work, barefoot, since it seemed comfortable at the time and I really didn't want to wear socks (socks = bad). Once at work, feet were still so comfortable that I figured I'd just leave them on until I had to leave my desk for a meeting of importance. It felt like my feet were getting a little warm, but I didn't think much of it. Then it started to feel like my feet were getting REALLY warm so I took off (read: peeled) the boots from my legs and attached to my ankles were unrecognizable marshmallow-looking things with (still freshly pedicured) pink tips. I tried putting my regular shoes on, and I kid you not, I could not get them on. OMG.

The one meeting I had after lunch was with someone not weirded out by me being barefoot, so I shoved my feet into the shoes the best that I could, then removed them immediately after I got to her desk (then shoved them on again to return to my desk, and gave up).

It is one thing to have your shoes off when you're at your desk, but it is completely different when you have to, like, go to the printer, or, even worse, go to the bathroom. I could send someone to grab my print outs for me, but there's no way I could get around going into the bathroom without shoes. Dammit.

I hauled my extra chair into my cube and attempted some sort of position with feet elevated, but it really didn't feel like it was doing much. I was so miserable that I decided at 4:15 that I was just Done For The Day and went home. I am happy to report that this morning I woke up with relatively normal-looking feet. No more barefooted Ugg wearing for me, thankyouverymuch. And also, note to self, bring a pair of flip flops to work with you from now on for emergency purposes.

OH and I almost forgot to mention that we bought a fancy new toy. I finally got the digital SLR camera that I have wanted forever, and it's pretty much my favorite thing.



He is getting his haircut today, finally.



Note strangely lopsided belly as Bug was lodged on the right-hand side when picture was taken.

How far along? 35 weeks, 1 day
Total weight gain/loss: I read in one of my books that your placenta needs four pounds of blood to function at the end of your pregnancy.
Maternity clothes? I want to buy some new ones, but that seems like a serious waste.
Stretch marks? No
Sleep: On the couch.
Best moment this week: Confirmation that it is getting much closer.
Movement: It has changed -- more large parts just rolling left to right. Not as many kicks. Lots of hiccups.
Food cravings: Liquids
Gender: Girl
Belly button in or out? In
Labor Signs: I have a lot more braxton-hicks now
What I miss: Wearing my wedding rings
What I am looking forward to: When the crib and chair get here
Weekly Wisdom: Even when you're hot and sweaty, your dog will still sit on you.
Milestones: Month Eight complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment