Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A new milestone

And it involved a child (mine) yelling at the top of her lungs and running full-speed away from me at Target (WTF) because she didn't want any help getting a greeting card into a (now mangled) envelope after THIRTY MINUTES OF ANGRY, FRUSTRATED ATTEMPTS.  I actually ran after her for three or four steps until I realized the UTTER STUPIDITY of the entire fucking situation, and got back in line to check out.

Running away from me?  Really?  Maybe if you would just NAP AT SCHOOL you'd stop being such a TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING.  She is in such a sleep deficit right now I find her almost intolerable to be around, which makes me intolerable to be around.

This morning:
ME: Why are you being so naughty right now?
HER: Because it's my job to be naughty.

So I'm trying to be all calm and collected in my response to her, while inside I'm like, "shut up."

A few weeks ago she got new glasses.  No new prescription yet, but taller frames so she can use more of the lenses in her visual field.  We go back again for a re-check in December.


Last week was the Fall Festival at her school.  I don't remember having fall festivals in elementary school, do you?  I remember winter ones, but never fall ones.  

I always make the worst decisions when it comes to "is this a costume event or not?"  Inevitably I choose the wrong one (most kids were in costume) but at least she was appropriately-themed. 

And I actually volunteered for something!  Bug's classroom was combined with a Kindergarten classroom for the festival (each class hosted a table/event).  I donated yarn and my time as set-up helper.  Except when we got there for set-up at the assigned time, everything was pretty much done.  The mom who was coordinating (below in witch outfit) was so Pinterest-Type-A.  I was all, "we done good having you be in charge of all this."

So I just took pictures instead. 

And the two of them ran around the usually off-limits-for-running-on grass.  And for the uninitiated, there are no enclosed hallways or really enclosed anything, save for the classrooms themselves, in California. 

It wouldn't be an event in Southern California if tacos weren't involved.  I mean, really.

Then it was time to start playing some games.

And decorating cupcakes, which we ate inside in her classroom, because we were all woefully underdressed for the chilly (64 degree) weather.  

Then she kicked butt at the bean bag toss, and won this ghost glow wand, and it was time to go home (but not before an entire car ride full of bewilderment about the glow stick, and why she couldn't "turn it off" and why it wouldn't glow in the morning). 

The following day (this past Saturday) we had plans to hit up two MORE Halloween events.  The first was at PLNU (Point Loma Nazarene University).  The pictures from the previous year looked great, and I was hoping there wouldn't be a lot of religious overtones (I assumed not, for such a non-religious holiday?).  The campus is in a jaw-droppingly gorgeous location on Point Loma, but unfortunately it was really foggy that day so we couldn't get a clear view of the ocean. 

It turned out to be really fun, and well worth it.  The only negative part was that they had a "Taste of Point Loma" area where local restaurants were giving away free food, and free stuff always brings out the most terrible people.  Like, truly so rude, and pushing (!!) and nastiness.  We got a few things and then went to pick out our free (?!?!) pumpkins.  Fancy private universities can apparently afford to host extravagant free events like this. 

The first thing she got there was a ring candy shaped like a brain, which she did not understand whatsoever.  She's just excited here that she's been given the green light to eat candy. 

We stopped and said hello to the cheerleaders before trying out the gymnastics demo.  She was not interested in the cheerleaders.

Making a fun beaded bracelet.

More art.

Super excited about her scratch-off paper mask.

The dads pushing the kids back to the car, while us moms hung back and enjoyed the silence.  Out ahead of them is the ocean, shrouded in fog. 

Then because we are CRAZY MASOCHISTS we had one additional Halloween event to go to in the afternoon at Seaport Village.  We did this one last year as well, although this year the merchants were apparently not handing out any free candy.  

Same Scarecrow, though!

The dog (who had to come along due to repairs being done at our house), dressed as a banana, defiling the planter.

Elmo blowing this young princess's mind.

There was a DJ, and dancing, which was exciting after it was done being scary.


Our friends and their little guy joined us again.

"If you look right there, she'll shut up, and we'll probably get candy."

And then we had to be all, "sorry she strangled your baby."

Beating Spidey to the punch.

This awkward kid without a costume kept photo-bombing everything.  But you can see there was a smoke machine, and she was having the time of her life.

Right in the thick of it all.

Yesterday we had a meeting at school to update her IEP.  Nothing new or groundbreaking, and we really like everyone at school, but it still leaves me super drained.  Then today, because it rained, the Y was limiting child care to only an hour versus an hour and a half, so I wasn't able to get my full workout in, which left me super crabs.  Not a real problem, I know, but I'm just putting that out there, as I eat chocolate to cope with her current refusal to take a nap.  

No comments:

Post a Comment