Thursday, December 31, 2009

I believe they call them "bat wings"/26 weeks

I had my 1 hour glucose test yesterday and passed! This is very exciting. I don't have to do the 3 hour test, and, I guess more importantly, I do not have gestational diabetes. Which would be horrible, considering I couldn't even limit myself to no sugar/carbs for a self-imposed 12 hours.

When we got to the doctor they gave us a sheet about entering your third trimester. It's like it's really real. There were a list of to-dos, all of which we hadn't even started yet (sign up for classes, find a pediatrician, pre-register at the hospital), and a list of more things to have anxiety about. I thought that the end would be less anxiety-ridden, since I'd be closer to being done, and Bug just has to, you know, accumulate fat and be born.

But there seems to be a lot more urgency around this list than there ever was before. Third trimester seems to center around three major things: pre-eclampsia, pre-term labor, and kick counts. All the books talk about these things, too, which of course I have been reading. So I came to the appointment convinced that I had some ailment related to all three. The good news is that my blood pressure is still low (I think it was 110/65, which seemed high for me), my cervix is closed (the doctor said I am the only person who repeatedly asks for a cervix check; apparently most women "don't like it." I don't know that I enjoy myself during it, but it's better than Bug falling out), and Bug's heartbeat was just fine.

The kick counts still make me a bit anxious. I asked the doctor the difference between "off day" and "decrease in movement" and her response was, "use your maternal instincts." I'm supposed to have these already?! I was surprised to see on the sheet of paper that it says explicitly "if you believe your baby is moving less, call right away, even if it is at night. Do not wait until the morning." Which sort of validates me sometimes having the urge to call in the middle of the night, although I haven't (yet?), but also makes me incredibly more nervous, since clearly it is not something to take lightly. Oy vey.

I measured right between 26 and 27 weeks ("within the margin of error" - Doctor) so no, JERK FACES, I am not "big for being 26 weeks." Hmpf. I also gained a more-than-personally-predicted amount of weight, but I blame Christmas for that one (cheesy potatoes, anyone?). The doctor said that she is not concerned about my weight whatsoever, AND she even said it was OK if I try water aerobics. Now I just have to find a swimsuit.

Side note: I'm pretty sure they're totally on to me, but I will continue to pretend like I'm not doing it on purpose. Every time I go to the doctor, I ask to leave the pee sample before I get weighed. Because years of Weight Watchers weigh-in experiences are hard to shake.

I was at the Eagan store today, and I told Matt that if the baby doesn't go bonkers when I walk into that backroom, I am taking myself to the hospital. Bug did not disappoint. I have no idea what it is about that building. Plus, the pirate music was on, and I think backroom team member "Mark" and Bug are the only two who find the music amusing. That, or Bug freaks out because it is SO BAD. Either way. Not complaining. Tickles all morning.

Back to the doctor again in two weeks (we graduated to appointments every two weeks!). I am back to being so exhausted that when I'm not at work, I'm sleeping. The dog is not complaining, but I have a feeling Matt might be (albeit privately).


Technically 25 weeks and 6 days. It is getting seriously pointy. And I was having hot flashes, which is why I'm in shorts when it's 5 degrees outside. You can sort of see my old body hiding in there, right?

1 comment:

  1. Damn you're huge!

    Ha. Kidding. You look like a skinny person trying to steal a watermelon.

    I take off so many layers before the weigh-in I'm damn near naked. Not that that makes a difference...

    ReplyDelete