Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Weighty Matter

Had my 22 week appointment today, and I gained 7 pounds since last appointment. SEVEN POUNDS. I even took my shoes off AND peed first. Oy vey. Total is now 13. Which is a perfectly normal total, but it's just hard to go 0, 0, 0, 0, for 16 weeks, then 1, 0, 1.5, SEVEN. It's possible my upper arms have gained two pounds each.

I could never have large boobies. Mine are finally growing, and my shirts fit completely different. I am not used to this. I give a new half pound to each.

The doctor had to leave unexpectedly before my appointment, so I met with the nurse instead. She wasn't expecting to see me today, and while she's nice, she doesn't bullshit very well. So, yeah, I knew that she wasn't expecting to see me today. I was sort of upset, because I wanted to discuss the results from the ultrasound for longer than "your ultrasound looks great." She did say that Bug was measuring in the 52 percentile for height and weight, and that my cervix was 4 cm long. Which are apparently all good things.

After listening to Bug (146 today, nice and strong) she measured my belly with a tape measure for the first time. I am measuring exactly 22 weeks, but apparently have such a long torso that I'm still not above my belly button. (I always THOUGHT I should order the "long torso" size swimsuits from J. Crew. Validation.)

(Note: it is difficult to write a blog post while watching Glee)

My iron levels are low, which doesn't surprise me since I've been turned away to donate blood every year I've been eligible for that reason. Seeing as how this is not so awesome when you're pregnant (and baby eats more of your iron) I'll be adding an iron supplement in the morning. Whose joke is it, though, that iron supplements can cause constipation? Not a very funny one.

I really wanted to see the doctor today. The nurse said that she "wouldn't be offended" if I wanted to reschedule with the doctor. I believe this was 45 seconds before she abruptly stood up and ended our appointment. I walked out, and my favorite desk girl wasn't there. So I went to the other one to ask if I could reschedule. She proceeded to argue with me about scheduling another appointment. She asked me (rhetorically, I'm thinking) if I saw the nurse today. I said yes, I did, but with everything that's been going on, I'd really like to see the doctor before 4 weeks. So she made me an appointment... in two weeks? No. I was actually hoping for this week. She then said to me, "I really don't think you'll need to see the doctor before four weeks." JUST MAKE THE DAMN APPOINTMENT.

I will call back tomorrow to see if I can get in sooner. Either way, I get to have the much-warned about glucose test on the 30th. Oh, and my uterus clenched on command while at the doctor's office today, confirming that the weird cramping I've been feeling really are Braxton-Hicks. Weird.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me laugh in a crying sort of way - I was a hair below my belly button at 16.5 weeks, and have passed my belly button at 18.5 weeks. I don't think I have a short torso, I think I have no torso.

    ReplyDelete