I asked her this week if there was anything genetic about baby size, since I have this nagging, horrible feeling that I am destined for a 10 pound baby (even though at two weeks late, I was still only 7 pounds). She said that there really isn't a whole lot of genetics about it (in terms of parents' relative size) and she said that I don't appear to be growing too big or too small. Which I take as a good thing. I measured at 31 weeks. Does this mean I get one week free?
These past two weeks I only gained 1.2 pounds, which is much better than the fives I was bringing in before. I'm still well in range of "normal," but I feared that another five would bring me dangerously close to being outside the range with 10 weeks to go (I think I have about 10 pounds total left in the bank). I have to admit that part of these past two weeks involved watching more what I ate (read: no late night Fruity Pebbles) which sort of annoyed me. Because I am never good at finding a middle ground. So it's either I feel like I could eat anything not nailed to the floor, or I have no interest in eating altogether. There has been some forced eating these past few days.
Herman is still here, and shows no signs of packing up. I had the doctor look at him, and she told me that he was relatively "small" which was all sorts of horrifying -- considering I think of him as GIGANTIC already. I don't even want to think about the size that he could be after I give birth. Shudder.
The baby shower last weekend in Milwaukee was very fun. We got lots of very nice things including the Cadillac of baby swings and our stroller (!). Except I thought I might give birth in the car on the way home. I gave up trying to count the number of contractions I had, since there was nothing really we could do in the middle of rural Wisconsin. Ick. No more long rides for me until AFTER Bug is here.
Basie, modeling out the new stroller.
He was remarkably calm about the entire thing, and tolerated being pushed around most of the first floor of the house (which, admittedly, is maybe five steps in either direction). I'm hoping this means he will be a good boy when Bug gets here. Although it might be important to note that the toy in the background was actually given to us as a baby toy for Bug ... and then Basie immediately took it as his own.
We went last week to go get quotes on life insurance. It seems like once you have a child, everything gets a lot more morbid. Which also reminds me that we need to write a will. And find a pediatrician. And a daycare. And that extra $20,000 I hid under the mattress. Oh, wait.
As I continue to be pregnant for more and more days, I have found that some things are starting to slip. I still shower every day, if that's what you're wondering, but I am not above wearing the same tank top or socks for three or more days in a row. When there are only four things in your closet that fit you, it is painful to see them disappear into the laundry. Because who has the energy for laundry anyway.
Dear Gap Maternity Jeans:
You are very cute. I like you a lot. You make me feel good about myself because I was able to buy you in a single-digit size. But why, Gap Maternity Jeans, do you make the belly panel so stupidly small? Surprisingly, I have not outgrown a) the ass of the jeans b) the thighs of the jeans or c) the hips of the jeans. What I have outgrown is the stretchy belly part of the jeans, or, more specifically, the top elastic band of the stretchy belly part of the jeans. How does one outgrow the part with goddamn stretch? I'm not sure if this is a poor reflection on me or you, but since I am the pregnant one here, I am going to blame you. Unless you are maternity pantyhose, which I do not inherently blame for digging lines in my stomach (and creating a most unflattering roll when seated), you should, well, not dig lines into my stomach.
Your customer who would like to purchase additional jeans, but is feeling conflicted,
Emily
Also, my lower legs have started to turn more sausage-like at the end of each day. Nothing requiring medical attention, but it's sort of embarrassing when your socks dig so far into your calves you have what can best be called a shelf (chelf?). Gross.
How far along? 30 weeks, 1 day
Total weight gain/loss: It continues.
Maternity clothes? I might need new jeans.
Stretch marks? Somehow, no.
Sleep: Confused by this, but I make it through a night without a potty break much more often now than I ever did before.
Best moment this week: In the 3's!
Movement: We used to be nuts between 8:30 and 9 PM, but now we prefer the 5 to 6 PM time slot.
Food cravings: Fruit that is not in season.
Gender: Girl. I know it is hard to believe, but it is possible to carry a girl "really low."
Belly button in or out? In
Labor Signs: Practice practice.
What I miss: The idea that if I wanted to fly to Tahiti tomorrow, I could.
What I am looking forward to: 69 days and counting
Weekly Wisdom: As exhausting as it might be, working 10 hour days does make the week go by faster.
Milestones: The doctor finally said to me, "you're getting close."
Hannah was SOOO low I thought I would sneeze and she was going to come out. One push and she was out! (sorry). Hannah and I plan to be there the week you are due!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Auntie, Shelley
Oh Basie monster! Too cute. Just wait until he tries to ride in there with baby. :)
ReplyDelete