Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why pregnant women don't run*

*Except for my tenth grade math teacher/track coach who ran throughout her entire pregnancy, and maybe MAYBE me if Clem and Spot wouldn't have been around at the beginning, but probably not.

Surprisingly enough, I was OK this morning with the first thing that I tried on, which is usually what takes me the longest. It was the fact that I couldn't find my work badge that was the problem. And then the shoes that I wanted to wear were actually not in the front closet like I thought, so I had to struggle to pull on different boots, and then I dropped my keys on the ground as I was trying to lock the door.

Halfway down the street, I saw a bus drive by. I looked at my watch; 7:18. My first impulse was to slow down to a waddle, sure that I missed it. But there was a 50/50 chance that that was the 17 and not the express, so I decided to switch from sidewalk to street (less ice) to see if I could still make it.

I had just cleared H&R Block when the bus pulled up to the stop across the street. I huffed to the corner and started waving my arms around like an idiot, forgetting that the driver was not the only person on the bus with a window to see me flailing. Of course the light was green, and there was no chance to cross. I continued to wave my arms (why?) as the bus sat and waited for me. Finally the traffic cleared and I ran across the street, deciding to skip the sidewalk to run along the shoulder against traffic towards the bus.

I could see the headline:
Pregnant woman hit by car as she stupidly ran in the street towards her bus, even though another bus would have arrived less than 10 minutes afterward.

Somehow I stayed upright and made it on the bus, breathlessly thanking the bus driver. It had to have been at least 2-3 minutes since I first flailed my arms. I sat down and realized I was now That Asshole that made the bus wait. No eye contact.

And now I feared I would pass out. Requiring the bus to pull over while the ambulance came and it would all be just a big misunderstanding, and the same people that had to wait for me to cross the street because I was late now had to wait for me to be attended to by the damn paramedics and it would be the best worst story at their office today and I would get dirty looks for the rest of my career of taking the 667 express bus at 7:15.

I did not pass out. Although it did take the entire bus ride for my heart rate to return to normal. From running across the street. So much for those 8:00 miles.

In other, less dramatic news, it appears as though Bug actually does move quite frequently throughout the day, and was just not really big enough for me to be able to feel her (no thanks to my placenta sitting up front). I spent most of my time today while sitting in meetings staring at my belly, watching it jump around. Fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. It typically takes me at least five minutes to return to unlabored breathing after I walk up a flight of stairs. I'm sure running would kill me.

    ReplyDelete