Monday, January 2, 2012

No place like home

On the one hand, they make diapers up to size 6, so what's the rush? On the other hand, she's taken to announcing bowel movements (accuracy: 33.3%) so maybe it's time to make a concerted effort to get out of them.

But I don't even know where to start. OK, so I bought a potty, which I suppose is a start. But my own personal laziness is getting in the way. 1) We have two bathrooms (which boggles my mind). Do I need two potties? Hell if I want to carry that thing up and down the stairs all the time. Hmm. 2) It is such a pain to take that diaper on and off if she's not lying down. The potty is novel right now, so if you ask her if she needs to go, she will ALWAYS SAY YES. So we take off the diaper and she sits down and nine times out of ten she says "ALL DONE" four seconds later. If I know and she knows nothing's going to happen, why are we even doing this? I'm lazy. Bah. (The dog apparently also needs to be re-trained; he has pooped in the house TWICE now while we have been gone. For real??)

Diapers now rank up there with things that I thought I would be excited to get rid of, but now I better appreciate their convenience. See also: Formula (ooh, baby food, how fun!), then Baby Food (table food! out, damn jars!), Table Food (stop throwing! I have offered you twelve different things, how can you not want any of them??). Now the idea of feeding her formula seems so SIMPLE. Here, drink this bottle! It's full of everything you need! (Note: There are obvious age-related factors here, too. If she could just agree that everything I offer is tasty and worth eating, we'd be in a better place).

Yes. Diapers seem so convenient. No poop in the pants (unless there's a malfunction... see: Topeka, KS), no struggling to find a public restroom, etc.

Maybe I'll get off this lazy train and be a better parent... in a few years.

Speaking of parenting, I'm still not used to having a second one. I feel so lazy and selfish all the time now, since I'm not doing everything any more. Like I'm not being a good parent. OK, so I know I'm a fine parent, but again, it's just weird not to be responsible all the time. Like if I say, I'm going to go running, or I need to take a shower, or I want to go sit outside and stare at the wall for the next half hour, it's OK.

It reminds me why I (unfairly) sometimes see someone out with an older (over 8) child and think, are parents of only one child somehow less good at parenting? Like two parents with one kid seems so easy ("easy"). Now that the burden of being alone has been lifted, I'm starting to entertain the idea that another one sounds better than sawing off one of my arms. Timing-wise I would like it sooner rather than later so that when we move again (overseas?) I don't have a wee one to deal with. But if my ovaries don't cooperate (which they haven't in over a year) then I don't have a lot of workable options. I have an appointment mid-January. We'll see what they say.

In other San Diego-related news, we did a bit more exploring this weekend. Saturday we went to Mission Beach and went to this hole-in-the-wall coffee shop that had THE most amazing coffee and breakfast sandwiches we have ever eaten. It's too bad it's not closer to us, because we'd be there all the time. The beach itself was pretty (and huge) but the area doesn't really appeal to me right now... it's very tourist-y (all rental homes along the water) and felt like one big frat party. Perhaps if we didn't have Bug, it might be a fun place to explore more, but for right now I'm fine with not hanging out there a lot.


Can you even believe what she was wearing? And those boys on the skateboards smelled like pot!!


Maybe in a few years playing in the sand will be appealing.


Very concerned about the sand in her toes.

Yesterday we went up to La Jolla. There's supposedly this breathtaking view of the ocean at the La Jolla Cove, but unfortunately the fog didn't want to cooperate and hadn't lifted by 11AM. We poked around the shops a bit (many were closed, as it was New Years Day) and then drove down through the Bird Rock area. I will admit part of why I wanted to go there was because of my two episode stint of watching Real World San Diego (that's where the house was) but I really didn't find it anything special. Pretty, sure. Lots of money, of course. But it just didn't feel very home-y.

I think that's what I'm just dying to find around here. A lot of the neighborhoods feel rough (but not necessarily in an endearing way, or appropriate for small children) or just full of rentals for tourists. I just want to find one that actually feels like home. We love living close in to the city, but we are SO priced out of living in some of the areas I love (which makes sense... seeing as how everyone wants to live there). Once we finish rattling off our guide book destinations, we might spend more time exploring some of the 'suburbs' ... although I don't really like the idea of living farther out. As much as I didn't think I would at first, I actually really am enjoying where we're at right now. We just need that second car to make it easier (to get anywhere you really need to drive).

Late yesterday afternoon we woke Bug up from a 3.5 hour nap and she had a fever of 103.6. AWESOME! We ended up taking her to Urgent Care. I felt like I lost all sense of what to do, because we have no ped here yet, and it's been so long since she's had a high fever. Perhaps at home I would have waited. But either way, it was fine. She has yet another virus (kid is good at these viruses) the "very common" fifth's disease (or "slap cheek virus"). It's why at Christmas her cheeks were so unbelievably red, like someone had dumped a pot of blush in the middle of each one. She had a pretty fabulous weird rash a few days ago that cleared up on it's own, and then the fever yesterday. She should be fine (she's acting as goofy as ever now that the fever is gone) and hopefully the snotty nose clears up soon.

Matt starts his first "real" week at work this week (the past two weeks have had an extremely shortened schedule due to the holidays). I'm excited for him, but it will be back to work for me, too, not having him home all day. What is it about Southern California that automatically makes people so lazy? Oh wait, I'd probably be like this in Iowa, too.

1 comment:

  1. Ehh, we have 100% accuracy in announcing a poop prior to commencement of said poop and I'm still not sticking her on either of the two potty options we have. Seems like too much work in the winter. By the time I removed her eleventy layers of clothes, she'd have already gone. The best I can do is a pre-bath pee on the potty. I'll probably have her potty trained by the time she's 7. Until then, diapers are easier.

    ReplyDelete