Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Soon she'll have a two-box-a-day habit.

Matt was off yesterday, and after we dropped Bug off at school, we stopped into the Principal's office to see if she had any more insight about when Bug might start receiving services.  She was very receptive (and appreciative) that we were being "proactive" and my hope is that we figure out something soon.

At the very least, every time I get an email from the VI teacher, I want to weep with joy, because she seems to GET what Bug has going on, and how complex and nuanced it can be.  Which is a special kind of relief since so often with assessments and services you can lose out if something does not test exactly within a set of guidelines.  Hopefully her assessment will happen next week, and then we can get the rest of it rolling.

She continues to love school, and comes home each day (there have been three days of school now for her) with a whole new set of songs.  How many times did we listen to the Raffi CD on repeat with her refusing to sing along?  And now all of a sudden she knows half of the songs by heart?  I am clearly chopped liver.

Being one of the youngest (although not smallest by the least) girls in class has had a profound impact - watching the older girls has transformed her seemingly overnight.  She is so much more independent, and has so much more to say about everything.

And then yesterday, related or not, she was coloring at her easel before dinner, and I walked by her and noticed the palms of her hands completely covered in orange marker.  She was, apparently, trying to make hand prints on the paper.  And I was all, "I see where you're going with this, but marker is not the preferred medium."  After repeated scrubbing, she still looks vaguely jaundiced.  

I keep saying to myself, maybe after this (growth) spurt, she'll slow down.  But she hasn't.  She's ginormous, at an almost alarming rate.  Especially the length of her shins, knee to ankle.  She ate an ENTIRE box of macaroni and cheese for lunch today, minus the one bite I snuck in.  I am not even exaggerating.  She is tired all the time, and the refusal to nap while at school does not help.  CAUTION: WHINING AHEAD.

I am SUUUUPER behind on photos.  So here's some from the last week (or so).


LABOR DAY WEEKEND


Somehow Matt and I were both off of work Sunday and Monday, so we were able to do normal-people things, like go to friends' houses for barbecues. 

And the best kind of friends have princess dresses to share.




Obviously not having a good time whatsoever.


A little peeved about the whole, "we have to go home now," situation.

We are normally terrible at maintaining any kind of social calendar, so we really out did ourselves when we followed that dinner up with ANOTHER ONE the following day.  Unfortunately no other children or princess dresses to play with, but there was the beach.



And a sunset, and a stand-up paddleboarder.  



Our friends in the water.



FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

I did not come up with this poster idea on my own, but I did decide to modify the original chalkboard version I saw on the Internet with .99 black poster board and some previously-forgotten glitter markers. 


Outside the classroom.  She could care less about her backpack this year, and is more excited about her new lunchbox.

BUG GOES BOWLING

Matt had a work function at one of the bowling alleys on base, and we were allowed to tag along.  When we were up getting our shoes, we asked about the contraption for kids, and he intercommed to someone that he "needed a dinosaur for lane 27."  And I thought to myself, oh, well, maybe "dinosaur" is the nickname for the ramp they give to the kids because it's so large and unwieldily and then this showed up and I was all, "Oh.  It's really a dinosaur."

She loved it.



And after seeing how much fun she was having, I will admit my wheels started turning about next year's birthday.  But then I thought harder about the reality of ten or so kids doing this at the exact same time, or having to wait for the other nine to finish up before it's their turn again, and it's off my list.  We will probably bring her again, just the three of us, or maybe with another friend.  

WE TRIED SOMETHING NEW, AND IT FAILED

This past Sunday we decided to try someplace new for breakfast because I wanted to run somewhere different after umpteen weeks of the same route.  So we picked a spot on the beach in OB.  Then I got lost on my way over there so I had to go the long way, and Matt almost left the restaurant to try and come find me.  And then we finally sat down and the food was super expensive and also super "meh."  And people wonder why I am such a creature of habit!  DOWN WITH THE NEW THINGS!

Afterward we convinced her to walk the entire length of the pier (which was made extra super creepy by all the people fishing off of it). 

Yes, child, you live here.

Watching surfers is super fun.


MOM TRIES TO DO "COMMISSIONED" WORK

A friend of mine is a graphic designer, and wondered if I'd help her out with some photos for a proposal she's working on for Balboa Park.  I had to try and not sound too eager, lest I give my nerdy self away.

So we took Bug to the park yesterday afternoon so I could take some new pictures of her.  




We taught her that moving your hand like you're throwing something into the water makes the fish come closer. 

Looks almost like a green screen, doesn't it?  My photo assistant was trying to prevent her from falling into the water with the 80-pound goldfish, but none of these shots turned out anyway.

Bored to tears with the whole thing.

I think I MIGHT be ready to bite the bullet and start trying to make a bit of money off my photography by offering up photo services to others.  I have no idea why I'm so reticent to do it (fear of failure??) but Matt's been pushing me and I just need to do it.  I may buy a new lens first because I've been drooling over a couple, but either way I've made a promise to myself to at least try it out.  Anyone want to hire me?  Get your holiday card portraits done now!

No comments:

Post a Comment