Christmas was fun, but exhausting. Best present was probably Matt finally feeling Bug move. We've graduated to tummy-moving kicks, but we're not totally consistent. The books (and the doctor) say to call when there is a "significant decrease in movement" but then when I call and ask, they say, "it's normal for them to have up and down days." So what on earth is the difference between the baby having a "down day" and there being a "decrease in movement"? They're the same damn thing. We'll see what the doctor says tomorrow.
I volunteered at the blood drive today at work. I walked in and they looked at me, concerned, and I said no, no, I'm just volunteering at the "canteen." So I sat by the food for an hour and made sure people had juice and Oreos. For the record, I did not eat any Oreos. When I first got there the nurses were sort of clucking around me, asking me about when I was due, etc. Then one of them turns around and says, "looks like there might be two girls in there." HELLO, I AM SITTING THREE FEET FROM YOU. One says to the other, "I think she heard you," and I said, "yes, I did, and no, there's only one." What is with everyone making comments about how big I am? Enough.
Things never to say to a pregnant woman, ever:
- You're big/huge/giant.
- You're only X weeks?
- These can be combined together for the hated, "You're big for only being X weeks."
- How many weeks are you? Oh, you have a long time to go.
- Any comment about the supposed gender of the unborn child, unless she specifically asks your opinion.
- Terrifying stories about your own birth, or about that one woman you know whose baby ripped through its own placenta and died at 36 weeks. (I'm serious, someone told me that.) Non-terrifying stories are perfectly fine, but please note, ending a terrifying story with, "I'm sure it won't happen to you," does not make it a non-terrifying story.
You're forgetting:
ReplyDelete* Are you sure there aren't two?
* Are you sure that's normal/safe? (In reference to a symptom, a medication, etc.)