We had a huge milestone at the six month appointment on the 11th -- we are officially over the 50th percentile for weight! Woo hoo! (Stats: 90th for height, 58th for weight, 72nd for head, which I don't fully understand anyway). The doctor seemed somewhat surprised, in my opinion, that she was 'doing well' -- I'm not sure I liked her tone, or liked the fact that maybe she thought she wouldn't be. Or maybe this is one of those "ignorance is bliss" type situations where I never knew (and don't really want to know) the full gravity of what potentially happened in July, so maybe I should just shut up.
She wouldn't stay on her back the entire time we were there, so she fully demonstrated her ability to roll over (yay). On a side note, when we were at Angel's a few weeks ago she refused to roll over or reach for anything, which is entirely unlike her, and which made Angel tell us we had to "work on some things." My child can do it, dammit! It makes me relate to the stories I've heard at Kindergarten screening where the kid all of a sudden calls a square a triangle and can't name his colors, despite obsessively pointing them out every other second on the way there. Anyway.
She was up for shots again, and since we had our four month shots a month late, I decided to split up her shots (sort of). Instead of getting three shots and an oral vaccine, she got just two shots and the oral one. The third shot will come when she has to get her flu shot booster in another month. She was pretty happy after the shots were over (well, after the shots were over and she had a bottle and a nap), which was surprising.
We were in such a good mood, we went to the park.
Wait, I have to have more??
Things pretty much fell apart after that, though. We had a night filled with dramatic whining and sadness (not that I could blame her) and her usually rambunctious legs (where she had her shots) had fallen silent.
The next two days were filled with disinterested eating, long naps at daycare, and difficult bedtimes. The 13th rolled around and it was time for bunny pictures, and they went horribly, at least in my opinion.
I really don't have time for this, Mom.
After another nap, it was time to try on our Halloween costume! Mimi's birthday is Halloween so it's important that we look good. These pictures (and her attitude) went marginally better. The costume does not fit her at all, though. Don't listen to my husband who says "it doesn't, like, pull on her, so what's the big deal?" The crotch on the tights of the costume (which are seriously crucial to the costume's cuteness) don't even reach the bottom of her diaper. If they come to her knees, that's about it. The biggest they sold it was in 6-9 months, which I knew in my heart of hearts would not fit her by the time Halloween rolled around, but I bought it anyway because it was so damn cute and because I'm always in a bit of denial when I buy things for her (denial about cost, total moneys already spent on clothes, total amount of clothes yet unworn in her closet, etc etc).
I figured we'd get some photos of her in it now, in case she's just in her pajamas on Halloween.
Cow-hoof tights incredibly crucial.
Matt told me it wasn't a big deal that the bunny pictures didn't turn out. Why couldn't we just take them another day? BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS DONE THEM ON THE 13TH OF THE MONTH. Him: "Fine, I'll go in and change the file name on all of them so it looks like they were still taken on the 13th." He also told me that next to my father, I was one of the most stubborn people about routine that he has ever met. This should not be surprising.
So I gave in and took photos of her with the bunny on the 15th. And yes, I'm glad that I did, fine you're right, because I got one of my new favorite pictures of her, ever.
Right before she started to poop.
My pale skin gives it away.
OK so this is slightly out of order, but I would be remiss in my tattle-tale skills if I didn't also mention that Thursday night I had a bit of a scare. Matt was at conferences so I was home with Bug. When I went to start her medicine, I noticed that all three syringes were still clean. That's odd. Usually one is always dirty from giving her the morning dose. Why are all three clean? There's no way he took the time to clean it this morning before work. OMG DID HE FORGET TO GIVE HER THE PHENOBARB THIS MORNING?!
He did.
By the time this was discovered, she had of course made it the entire day and hadn't had a seizure (umm, not surprised at all, since neurologist still doesn't think she ever had one, but he's still keeping her on the meds for God knows what reason, blah blah blaaaaaaah) but I was still concerned. So I called the nurse at the doctor's office and explained to her that my husband forgot to dose her that morning. She said that she should be fine (it's difficult when speaking to someone who doesn't know Bug's medical history because the medication that she's on can often mean something more serious than we luckily turned out to have), but she still wanted the doctor on call to speak with us. THREE RE-PAGES AND AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER he finally calls us. Apparently the nurse sent him the page "question about missed medication" which doesn't exactly scream urgent. I had already given her the regular nighttime dose and put her to bed by the time he called back.
I will note here that while I did throw my husband under the bus when speaking with the nurse, I did not say "my husband forgot" when speaking with the doctor. See, I'm not that bad.
He confirmed that she should be just fine, but poo-poo'ed my "she's probably outgrown her dose" comment (which I heard from our regular ped in the first place) and was very dismissive when I followed it with "she's gained three pounds since then." Him: "Well, it's only three pounds. I wouldn't say she has outgrown it." Hey, pal, when you only weigh 16, three is a lot. It reminded me when I was pregnant and they would always say, "oh, you're early still."
She's obviously been fine since, and I'm actually surprised we made it this long without forgetting it at least once. Especially considering I can't even remember to take my own prescriptions every day.
I'm currently baking squash in the oven in my first (only?) attempt at making my own baby food. We tried soy yogurt today and it wasn't exactly a hit. We have been instructed not to feed her any dairy products at all until she's a year, which bums me out, because I wanted her to try yogurt and cottage cheese, etc. I don't really blame her on the soy yogurt. I thought it tasted terrible.
OMG how could I have forgotten this? We finally got the insurance company to cover her formula. I pat myself on the back for my excellent letter-writing skills for the letter sent to my benefits department, but who knows if that even made a difference. 14 cans (about a month's supply) now costs us $70, versus $560. This doesn't mean that we have anything extra (we owe Children's Hospital a number with too many zeros), it just means we're not AS in the shitter with money as we possibly would have been if insurance would not have covered it. We're still taking donations for a high chair and a new car seat.
Rolling? What's rolling?
ReplyDelete