I was super nervous this entire week (that's a given) but especially because we just hadn't been able to get in the quality training that we needed. In the middle of the summer (when it was light out at 5:30 AM) I would get up before work and run. Now that it has gotten darker (and cooler) I am lucky to run once during the week in addition to our long Sunday runs. I was utterly convinced that I wasn't going to finish (silly, I know).
And then to add on top of that, both Matt and I are sick, AND Bug decided it would be really funny to be up for two hours last night. Normally if she wakes up (which is rare) she's back to sleep quickly. Last night dragged on forever, and even after a bottle she had no interest in sleeping (now that's she's learned the 'raspberries' they often come out at inappropriate moments -- namely when you are frustrated with her. It's like she knows you can't help but smile at them.)
But despite all of this we finished with a decent time (1:43:34). I told myself going into it that I didn't care about the time but that was a thinly veiled lie. Goal was to beat 1:40, and we were close. Per my usual, mile 1 was an obnoxiously long 11:43 (I also blame it on the 5,000 other people in our corral and a 38 degree start) and mile 10 was a much better 8:46. One day I will trust myself enough to push the entire race -- maybe that will be at the end of the month when we run the Monster 10 mile. And we easily clear 1:40.
Bug, bundled up and ready... and despite cow bells and Billy Joel blaring on speakers, sleeping when we ran by.
Credit: Tom Mack, action sports photographer.
No comments:
Post a Comment