Monday, May 27, 2013

Let's just watch TV

Matt left for work this morning early, and somehow Bug was still asleep.  So we all slept.  And then I woke with a start and saw that the clock said 8:12.  I had that same feeling I had when Bug first slept through the night; I'm a neglectful Mom, how could I have slept through what I assumed was hours of crying, something's wrong.  I mean, 8:12???

I jumped out of bed, and saw that the monitor was indeed still on, and I could hear her sighing.  Which gave me the green light to at least go to the bathroom before checking on her.

When I walked in, she was awake, but in her sleeping turtle position.  She was burning up.  F!  She said that she felt dizzy, and she hadn't even sat up yet.  I hate that this still happens to her when she gets a fever.

I took her temperature (is it bad that I still take it in her b-u-t-t?) and sure enough, 101.6.  Not terrible, but enough.  I got her upstairs with just holding her hand, which is miles of improvement on what we've seen in the past, where she can't even stay on her feet.

She has not been sick very often of late (and I feel very lucky to be able to say that) so when she does get sick, I seem to lose all sense of what to do (although at least she wasn't puking this time - and OMG, that was a YEAR AGO??).  I gave her some ibuprofen and set her on the couch.  She wanted to eat, which was a good sign, and she looked very flushed, which I'll take over deathly pale.  She had two pieces of banana, then wanted something else.  My brain was all, "Oh look, you're still a picky food waster.  Glad you're not that sick."    

I decided to offer her a smoothie, since we were gifted a bunch of frozen fruit from a friend who had to clean out her fridge before moving out of the state.  I am not a smoothie pro.  I will admit I had to look up a recipe on the Internet.  And even then it... didn't go all that well.

We have a terrible blender.  I mean, it's your average, run-of-the-mill Osterizer blender, but it sucks.  I think I've used it twice, and both of those times were full of big smoothie plans and disappointing results.

After clearly adding way too much ice ("don't make it sour, Mom!") I threw in an extra scoopful of Matt's sacred vanilla Greek yogurt, the uneaten half of her previous banana, and more milk (already added: frozen strawberries and blueberries, milk).  And since I am "fresh out" (read: I've never purchased) any "natural" sweeteners, I added a teaspoonful of DELICIOUS, WHITE GRANULATED SUGAR.

A half hour later (I swear, it took me this long) the smoothie was finished, and Bug's original request for one all but forgotten.  She took MAYBE three sips, the third being one she was guilted into.

Bah.

At the very least, the ibuprofen seems to have kicked in, because she's requesting to play catch and jumping up and down to the theme song of Sesame Street.  So much for a less-guilty morning spent reading recaps of Mad Men online.

Remember our plants?  They've sprouted!  This is from yesterday morning.

I hear bubbles are better than Miracle-Gro

"If you give them too much water, they will die."
"What do you mean, Mama?"
"If you water them too much, they will stop growing."
"Why?"
"Because they will."
"Why?"
"Stop watering now, please."
"NO."
"GIVE ME THE WATERING CAN."

Okay, so here's your advance warning.  I'm posting a picture of my leg.
























Are you still here?  It's down a little farther.  It's really not that bad.  

























The whole blue/orange situation around is the bruise, which actually has shrunk a bit.  The incision is, well, not small.


And yes, that is Basie lurking in the background with his cone on.  Doofus has a hot spot on his chest that he won't leave alone.  We can be shameful together.

No comments:

Post a Comment