Wednesday, May 8, 2013

This is me trying.

One of the gifts Bug received for her birthday was a bag of potting soil, three small planters, seeds, gardening gloves, a small shovel and an elephant watering can.  Basically a pretty f'ing brilliant and thoughtful birthday present that I could never even come close to replicating for anyone else.

She had been bugging me to "plant" (obviously) and I kept putting her off, because I hadn't built up enough of my Patience Reserves yet.  The whole exercise was either going to go fairly well or be a complete failure, and I needed to be prepared.

Yesterday after she woke up from her nap it was finally time.  And except for the part where she knocked over one of the little planters after we had already seeded it, requiring us to start completely over (yes, the answer is I yelled at her), it went pretty well.  There may still be potting soil stuck in the (outer) tracks of the sliding glass door, but at least it stayed outside.

Before we started.

Filling up our planters.  I was AMAZED at how little she spilled during this, considering it was awkward having the soil and the planters at different heights.

Her favorite part might have just been the gloves.

Watering them for the final step.

The biggest draw back of this whole thing is the delayed gratification.  She was a little baffled when we were done - one of those, "That's IT??" I think the seed packages say something obnoxious, like 60 days before anything happens, but I'm hoping that means before we see any actual flowers and that maybe we'll see some green shoots before that long.  Of course this morning was cloudy, so our poor plants didn't get much sun.  

When Matt got home from work he took her outside for bubbles.  She loves bubbles, but they make me a bit stabby.  They always get all over EVERYTHING (usually me) and we always knock over at least some portion of the solution.  I know they make those "spill-free" versions, but we have a bunch left over from her party and from other occasions that are just in regular containers, and I'd rather go through all those first.


Notice she is holding the bubble wand.  I had to withhold bubbles and then promise them back to get her to take a picture with me. 

And despite my dislike of participating in bubbles, I am slightly obsessed with taking pictures of her blowing bubbles, which of course makes no sense at all.

Glasses soaked in bubbles are of no use.

Last night after dinner I had the most horrible stomach-ache, and went to bed at 7.  Bug was quite distressed that I was not available to put her to bed, and Matt told her it was because my tummy hurt.  Of course she woke up no less than four times in the next two hours complaining of a stomach-ache "just like Mommy."  

This morning I was still feeling lousy, and didn't much feel like going to class or exercising.  Normally I give myself a pass on these days, because I never feel this way, so when my body says don't, I usually listen.  I got as far as actually putting on all my running clothes, and then three minutes before we would have needed to have left to make it on time, decided we were just staying home.  How stupid is that?  I was even dressed!

I took off the running clothes, put other clothes and a low baseball hat on, and decided we were just going to walk up to the playground to meet up and play with everyone after class.  We stopped at Starbucks on the way, because whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself I figure it can't hurt.  And then instead of just seeing everyone at the end when they were all done, we ran into the group midway there (doh!) so I ended up walking back with them, suffering through watching the ab routine, and then finally playing.  



Still feel crappy, but apparently well enough to still eat chocolate chips.  It will probably hurt again this afternoon, when I take her to Target so she can get a Disney Princess doll like she's holding in the picture above, which was swiped from a friend on the playground.  I AM SUCH A SUCKER.

No comments:

Post a Comment