I ran in the morning, although I was lazy, and didn't get out until much too late. I had the marine layer for about ten minutes before it was gone. Poor planning. HOTNESS.
After I finished, we went to the beach to help celebrate a friend of mine's birthday. It was a surprise, although sort of an on-going one. The majority of people met around 9 a.m. to play beach volleyball, but since we were not participating, we didn't show up until later. Originally we were only going to stay an hour or so, so that we could get Bug home in time to nap before the kid's birthday party we were going to in the afternoon. But she was having such a good time flirting with all the (early) 30-something men without shirts on, and I was having such a good time snuggling with my friend's ten-month-old baby while she enjoyed the volleyball, and we were all having such a good time eating all of the TREMENDOUS food everyone brought for the BBQ, that we ended up staying.
No pictures, unfortunately.
Matt then had to go to work, and Bug and I headed to the party. The back of the invitation said to "remember your suit and towel" so I thought we were going to a full-fledged pool party that would require me to get in a pool with a bunch of strangers while my kid clung to me like a wet cat. Turns out I was sorely mistaken (as were many other parents), because it was a backyard full of kiddie pools, water tables and a huge bounce house.
(Had I known, though, I'd have probably worn proper makeup and put more thought to my outfit than my cover-up/borderline sundress situation, but so be it. I DO give myself 10 points though for remembering a pair of underwear, so I was able to remove the swimming suit I had on under the dress.)
We started in the bounce house. I figured I'd let her exhaust that while she was still mainly dry.
Sweaty, a tad overwhelmed, but happy.
Then she announced she wanted a snack, and plopped herself down at a picnic table.
I'll just wait here.
So I walked over to the taco bar, and ordered us a quesadilla that tasted AMAZING. She took two bites (duh).
Will you live in my kitchen?
Had Matt been there with me, I would have been able to eat SO MUCH MORE, and douse it all in an amazing array of hot sauce:
It's probably better for my waistline that I wasn't able to, but I still salivate looking at this.
And despite an adorable set of mini tables and chairs (in the shade!) she insisted on sitting at that plastic picnic table:
She was very excited that most things were blue, her "favorite color."
It's like she's running in, yelling "CANNONBALLLLLLLLLL"
Trying so hard to make the float work.
This is how it's going to be, sister. Big ideas, small reality.
What is it with toddlers and obsessing about things only when other toddlers have them?
The cake was AMAZING. I may go order one just to eat myself.
Then I brought her home, and put her to bed at 6:30 (no nap! all day sun!). Matt made it home just in time to kiss her goodnight.
Sunday was, of course, Mother's Day. I opened up some very lovely cards and gifts, and then tried to read the newspaper.
That looks like a GREAT IDEA, MOM.
Baby 1 and Baby 2
We didn't go anywhere in the morning because she was still exhausted from the previous day (oh, and we missed napping on Friday, too). When she woke up, though, we went to the beach!
I swear my legs don't look this tan in person.
Totally forgot my beach chair, though, which made magazine reading next to impossible. Instead I watched Matt dig deep holes so that Bug could stand in them. It is a little weird how long this activity can entertain the two of them.
I'm disappointed that this picture doesn't do it justice, but this is fog rolling in over Point Loma. When there's a lot of fog offshore, it looks almost like a mountain range. Watching it come inland is amazing; when we lived on the Strand, it was sometimes scary, as it just envelopes EVERYTHING. This just hung out over Point Loma, though (literally, it was wrapping around).
It stayed away long enough so that I could continue to teach really important life skills, like how to lay on the beach.
Check out that awesome shorts tan that is probably permanent at this point.
Matt was off today, so we ran at Mission Beach this morning. When we were done, we tried scootering again.
Doing a really good job at waiting for us to get the scooter out, and the stroller back in.
Still can't convince her that steering is worth the effort.
Then we went to the NEX to see if we could find my Mother's Day gift in another color, and maybe get me a new pair of running shoes. They didn't have the color I wanted, my shoes aren't on sale until Wednesday, but someone still made out like a bandit:
She put them on, and I was all, "I hope you like these, because you're getting them." She did like them.
Then it was time for her first-ever dentist visit. This dental office came highly recommended, and when we walked in I wasn't sure if we got the address wrong, and stumbled into an alternately-styled Apple store instead. There were iPads in the lobby for the kids to play with, you checked in on an iPad Mini, there were iMacs mounted in the ceiling for the kids to watch movies on. It was intense. Matt: "This looks like a spa."
Watching Clifford.
They were probably able to clean 8 out of her 10 top teeth before she lost her mind, and we had to stop. The goal today wasn't really to get them cleaned (that would have been a nice bonus) but to just get her comfortable with going. The dentist told us that she would likely need orthodontics because her baby teeth are so close together (apparently if you have big gaps between your baby teeth you are less likely, even though it may not look as cute? I just figured if both of your parents had braces, there was a high likelihood you would need them, too). No cavities, and no passive-agressive shaming about our continued pacifier usage. I know we need to kick that habit; I just haven't gotten there yet. (I keep telling myself once we reach certain milestones, the Nuk is next, but those have all come and gone, and the Nuk has persisted. Eh.)
Then I had to go to the dentist, and it was hellish. His worst fears were realized as he removed the old filling that had to be replaced, and I'm like however many millimeters from needing another $$$$root$$$$canal$$$$$. I need a crown for sure (ugh, $$$$), and he had me pop three Advil in his office after he was done, with instructions to take four more before I go to bed. And also I have his personal cell phone, should I need to call him this evening regarding pain ("When you call, make sure you have the name of a pharmacy open late. I will prescribe you something stronger, like Vicodin."). It's 8:24 and knock on wood, the Advil seems to be working at keeping the edge off, which is SPECTACULAR. I've just been eating marshmallows, which is terribly unsatisfying.
I close with this video of Bug dancing at Cinco de Mayo (with Matt in the background on Bari Sax).























No comments:
Post a Comment