Monday, November 1, 2010

Melt

We woke up this morning like every other morning. Mondays are always exciting. Because, you know, there's usually finally food in the house.

Matt goes to open the freezer to grab a Lean Cuisine for lunch and... it's melted. Everything in the freezer is melted. The ice packs, the two containers of ice cream (I really thought Matt might cry), the dejected, never eaten cubes of pureed squash, the five bags of edamame (YES, I GET IT, I KNOW, I DIDN'T BUY ANY MORE THIS WEEKEND), the unopened bag of frozen chicken breasts, the fancy Kashi lunches that I covet, etc etc. Squish.

The fridge still seemed somewhat cold, but I had no idea how long since it stopped working. The light was still on, but in the hour and a half before we left (with repeated openings and fidgeting with the thermostat) it never cycled on. UGHGGHHGHGHG. Why couldn't have this happened on Saturday night when there was NO FOOD IN THE FRIDGE? Why on Monday morning when it was chock-full of promise for the week?

Sniff.

Service Plus was out last week to try and fix it (it did not sound good), and they told me they did. I'm 100% sure I have no recourse against them, but I still thought negative things for most of the morning. They're coming back out maybe tomorrow (I know, right? Maybe?) and Wednesday for sure. I figure it's worth it to wait to see if it can be fixed before going and buying a new one.

I don't know why I haven't thrown anything away yet. I mean, it's still somewhat cold in there. The beer is drinkable. I probably should, since I don't trust anything else. We tried to come up with something for dinner tonight. Matt suggested taco dip, but it required the block of cream cheese. I bet $100 (hey, that's how much food we bought!) that if I wouldn't have been home, he would have eaten it anyway. I made him throw it away (no cream cheese block is that squishy unless it's been sitting out at brunch for 3+ hours). We ordered pizza.

I probably won't throw away the mandarin oranges. Or the apples.

Tonight we went to look at cars, and can someone please explain to me why I always leave the dealership with really low self esteem? What is it about the sales people that is so smarmy? And seriously, dude, if I really only want to spend $15,000, let it go. Wouldn't you rather have that sale (and yes, I get it, you think that we are a pair of sad, poor jerks) than no sale at all? Ugh, cars frustrate me. I hate that something so necessary (OK, so we can make it without one, but it would be 10000x easier if we had a second one) costs so much goddamn money. I hate cars.


But if someone wanted to buy me this one, I wouldn't complain. I bet her purse costs more than my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment