Monday, November 29, 2010

Solid

Well the surprise of the century (mainly to us, and very obviously not to Bug) is that Bug is quite the happy camper now that she is not swaddled and strapped to the bed at night. She took THREE NAPS TODAY in her crib for Mimi. That is just completely unheard of. They were still only 30-45 minutes long, but this is a HUGE accomplishment. A week ago we would only nap in the car.

I remember when the pediatrician told me that I was going to have to get her out of the sling and sleeping flat and I was just dreading it. I figured if we were there by January it would be a success. And then I went cold turkey at 3 a.m. on Sunday morning (she woke upset, again, and I took one look at her and decided that we were done. Pillows (propping the mattress) flew in the air as I untied everything and unwrapped her. I'm not sure who was more surprised: her, me or Matthew) and we've been pretty darn good ever since (knock on redwood forests). She sleeps almost completely face down which is a little disconcerting, but she appears to find it cozy.

In other news she had her first allergic reaction -- to blueberries. It was just a rash, but I called the doctor to double-check and the first thing she says to me is: "I'm calling in a prescription for an epi-pen for you to keep on hand." As if I needed more to add to my Terror File.

So we are now to avoid berries of any kind, and be "conscientious" about other pitted fruits (apparently that's another 'family' of foods that people are often allergic to). Oy.

We did give her a teething biscuit today and it was a HUGE hit. So much so that when we took it away she screamed. Cookie back in hand, happy. Take cookie away, scream again. I pray for our souls when she turns two.




Level of excitement is directly proportional to eye-bugging.

1 comment:

  1. I like that she needs to use two hands to get the cookie in - like it's so delicious that she has to make sure it doesn't accidentally slip away or get stolen!

    I was the same way with the swaddle - was sure we'd have a horrible transition period. J slept 12 hours the first night without. I guess when they're ready, they're ready. It does seem that they do better when you don't end swaddle time too early (like at month 2).

    ReplyDelete