One of the accounts I follow on Instagram recommended keeping a journal during this weird and confusing time, so that you would have record later of how it all felt. As of today, her school is closed through March 27.
Yesterday, Friday, we made the difficult decision to cancel our travel plans to Minneapolis. She excitedly skipped off the bus after school thinking we were leaving soon, and then we had to break the news to her. She was understandably EXTREMELY upset, to the point where she repeatedly told us she couldn't call or talk to my mom because it was too upsetting to her. UGH. We tried to explain to her about the coronavirus without needlessly scaring her, but she didn't get it, and I don't blame her.
Today she woke up with a fever, which sent me into a mini spiral. I don't think she has the 'rona ... I think she's wiped out from this week, and very, very upset. In the past she has spiked fevers after my mom has left, and it might be similar. We had to bring her into the doctor today to have her foot looked at (different story for another day, perhaps) and he listened to her and said all systems looked fine. We are keeping an eye on her. She ate dinner, which is a good sign.
The amount of people out and about makes me so mad. We are choosing to socially distance ourselves as much as possible, which means I have no plans to leave the house unless absolutely necessary. Co-workers today told me that the store was packed. I (rhetorically) don't understand those who think this is some kind of extended vacation, and I know that they won't change their behaviors until it's too late (it's probably already too late).
I stocked up a few weeks ago on things, so we are set, minus my usual large collection of fresh fruits and veggies, since I thought we were going out of town. For once I feel vindicated in my preparedness. So much of my life I have been ridiculed for my worry and for "overreacting" to things ... but my radar was going off about two weeks ago and we bought a chest freezer and I methodically filled it with frozen vegetables, extra chicken and loaves of bread. I also got extra laundry detergent, paper products, canned shit... basically so there was no need to really leave the house if we didn't have to (and also because I wanted to make sure we had the stuff before all of the crazies went out). It was mildly thrilling to stock up like I was about to ride out a hurricane (which - HA - like I would ride one out anyway) but have the advantage of knowing I was going to have electricity. THRILLING, I TELL YOU.
I am on the fence about continuing to go to my workout classes this week. We will see. I feel so strongly about people staying home (and fuck you to everyone who just went about their business today like nothing was wrong, thinking you could just #lysolwipes and be fine) that I don't want to be hypocritical about it. I can run for a week or two and do some whatever at home and still be fine. Crazy, but technically fine.
Today we:
Went to the doctor
Tried going to Costco so I could get more vegetables
They told us at the entrance they had no toilet paper or paper towels
The line was wrapped around the store
We abandoned our cart and walked back out
Drove to Whole Foods
Which was sold out of the most random of things
(Most sadly, fresh broccoli)
Still managed to spend $68
Came home
They played video games for a while
Cleaned the counter off (!!!!)
Cleaned the kitchen table off (!!!!!)
Read the news for several hours and developed my "reading the news cough" I now get when reading about the 'rona
Tried to start a puzzle
Watched Tangled
Fell asleep
Ate dinner
Lost at Sorry
Spent less time exchanging "what do you want to watch" "whatever you want to watch" "but what do you want to watch" than in previous nights
No comments:
Post a Comment