Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Day 4

Yesterday was a big day for me.  I had an interview, my first foggy glimpse at a Real Job in almost ten years.  It would be momentous for our family if this came through -- which obviously puts so much more pressure on the entire situation -- but I'm trying to remain neutral on it.

The interview was supposed to be an in-person one, in Minneapolis, but the VP of HR decided on Friday last week that all in-person interviews were to be done via videoconference.  As soon as that was confirmed, we canceled our travel, as the interview was honestly the only thing that was still making me consider flying in light of everything else and the information we had last week. 

(Seeing as how the 'Rona energy has grown substantially since then, I'm very glad we decided to cancel the trip.)

The interview went well, I think.  It was four hours long, and I had conversations with six different people.  I wore a blouse and a blazer, a full face of makeup, and then yoga pants and slippers.  Perhaps this is what newscasters feel like.  I had a full range of body temperatures in that four hours: freezing cold, dripping sweat, cold but also still sweaty, etc etc.  It was a lot of pressure!  I'm glad it's over.  Whatever happens now is essentially out of my hands so WE WAIT.

Yesterday was also when the Bay Area announced its shelter in place decision, and major cities started shuttering their bars and restaurants.  We had already decided that we were going to "shelter in place" minus emergencies for the next two weeks.  I ran out to try and get some eggs, because Bug has been pestering me about baking.  I want to bake, but because we were going to be flying out of town, I didn't stock up on a bunch of perishable items, and don't have a lot of eggs.  Turns out there are currently no eggs to be found, anywhere.  I went to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Kroger, and Matt stopped at Sam's Club on his way home from work.  Zilch.  Nada.  I know that they will be back, but for now, just add it to the list of things she's mad at me about. 

Most of the fitness facilities around here finally announced closures yesterday (Monday).  It is clear that most people will not take the stay at home thing seriously unless all their toys are taken away.  My co-workers, for example, were attempting to organize group workouts at whatever studio as recently as Sunday.  WHY?!!  Why is it so hard to just take a fucking pause for two weeks?  I'm glad my store is closed, because honestly, I'm more concerned about the doofuses I work with than the customers who come into the store. 

I never updated about Sunday.  Sunday we:
Watched Frozen 2 at 7:00 a.m. (Disney+ had been promising they were releasing it for streaming on Sunday, and she came into our room at about 6:45 a.m. asking if we thought it was available yet)
Attempted Kroger at 7:30 a.m., and found fresh broccoli, but no eggs
Cleaned out the back room
Moved a bunch of shit to the attic
Tried some at-home Peloton workouts for the first time
Walked the dog
They played a lot of Nintendo again
Walked the dog a second time
Ate dinner
Watched nothingness on TV and went to bed

Yesterday (Monday) we:
Had Bug go to work with Matt in the morning so I could be home alone during my interview
Interviewed and sweated like it was a full-body workout
Matt drove Bug back home at lunchtime and went back to work
Found out he will be WFH for the foreseeable future
Continued to be dumbfounded at the ineptitude of this administration
Tried to find eggs again -- no dice
Felt like an escaped convict going to the grocery store
Judging by the amount of people also at the grocery store, was probably the only one who felt weird
Saw people wearing gloves at Whole Foods, and one person in a mask and gloves at Kroger
Finally let Bug eat mac and cheese for dinner last night (we had something else)
Watched the Voice (this no sports thing, especially during March Madness time, is killing me/us)
Went to bed, although I was up from 3:00 - 4:00 with some awesome night sweats and AWAKENESS

This morning we went for a run, my first run in like two weeks.  I survived!  I was also shocked by how many cars were everywhere.  The parking lot at Perkins was packed!  Clearly no one is taking this seriously whatsoever.  Awesome. 

Did some more Peloton workouts (saw a meme that said something like "either going to come out of this 50 pounds lighter or 100 pounds heavier, hard to say), did some laundry.  Trying not to refresh the news because it's like a car crash in slow motion.  The economy is tanking (honestly, are we going to have any restaurants besides McDonalds and Taco Bell after this?!), we won't know if the small portion of people actually practicing social distancing is going to have made any difference for at least another few weeks (and this is assuming we ever get the ability to test anyone EYE ROLL), and Italy (and Europe) are still having tremendous issues.  Also, conspiracy theorists abound.  Don't read the comments. 

And it's only 12:53.  At least we're already halfway through Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment