Friday, November 20, 2009

20 weeks

Wow yesterday was bananas. The appointment wasn't until 4:15 in the afternoon, so all day I just stared at the clock and played Bejeweled Blitz on the iPhone. Productive.

We left at 3:30 for downtown. We knew we would be early, so we puttered around Barnes and Noble (which is in the same building as the doctor's office) looking at graphic birth pictures from the 1970s. I'm thinking I just might say "no" to the mirror. Matt seems both disgusted and intrigued, and I have to agree.

We headed up to the office a little after 4, and then sat for 25 excruciating minutes. A woman was in with her twin boys (who couldn't have been more than 2) and I was quite entertained by them. One kept babbling incoherently, while the other was on a hair trigger for hysterics. It all just sort of cracked me up. At this point I'm still convinced Bug is male.

I had heard rumors that the anatomical ultrasound required a full bladder, which happened well before we even got to the office. I kept drinking water and felt to the point of possible rupture. I wandered back to the nurses station and asked if it truly was necessary to have a full bladder, or if I could please go to the bathroom. The three of them had no idea, and one "guessed" that I did need it to be full. I shuffled back to the waiting room and asked Matt to please hide the water bottle from view.

FINALLY she called us back. Can I just take a moment to say ultrasounds are so much more enjoyable when performed on the outside of your body? They are. We got settled in, with Matt sitting on some previously hidden stool in the corner right by the table I was laying on (in the past he has always been on the little couch in the room). He looked possibly more nervous than I was.

It is utterly amazing to me how many parts are there already, especially the spine. You can literally see every single vertebrae. I was fascinated with this. Completely fascinated. I wish I would have asked her to take a picture of it for me just so I could have it (I didn't). They checked and measured all of Bug's parts, and all were looking good. Matt asked me afterwards what I thought the tech does when something doesn't look right. I figured she might just skip over that part, since we had no idea what was she was looking for anyway. Or, that it must be what the eight boxes of tissue in the room are for.

Bug was laying head down, facing my back, and I thought I was going to wet the table when she was measuring the head. No wonder I've felt so much pressure down there lately. I realize that Bug will probably move around an infinite number of times before birth, but I was happy that Bug at least tried out the proper position for April.

The gender came at the end, and of course, Bug's legs were crossed at the ankles (they have been every ultrasound so far) with thighs squeezed tightly together. For some reason Bug likes to move more when I move, and becomes dormant when I sit still (which is opposite from what all the books tell you) -- and since this was at the end of the hour-long session, there was no swimming. It was kind of funny - the tech was tapping my belly with the wand, trying to get the baby to move, and Bug wouldn't budge. I had no idea what we were looking for, and had only a general idea of where to look on the screen for a penis (still thinking Bug is boy). The tech said that she was fairly certain what Bug was, but wanted to get a better shot so that we could see it, too. Finally she froze the screen and pointed out the three lines and I said out loud, "it's a girl." Thank you, Bug, for proving your parents wrong. I joked that Bug could keep those thighs pressed together until she was married. Modesty jokes (and my apparent "lack of") followed from the peanut gallery.

Bug was measuring an average due date of April 7, so we're still on track, which is very good news -- all of this craziness has had no affect on Bug.

It's really weird how knowing the gender totally changes how you feel about being pregnant. It just all of sudden got so much more REAL for both of us. I still can't quite refer to Bug as "her" or "she" -- it's still a shock. I can't believe I'm having a girl. I'm very excited for a girl, don't get me wrong, but it's just not something I ever considered (seriously, we were CONVINCED Bug was a boy). I haven't bought anything for Bug yet. I'm not sure when I'm going to take that leap. If we keep me away from baby Gap it might be easier.

Speaking of buying things, picking out a crib and bassinet is going to give me a heart attack. As soon as I think that I've found one I like, I read some horrible review or find a different one. HOW THE HELL DOES ANYONE DECIDE? Is it really necessary to have this many different brands? I figure we will either a) set up the crib upstairs in our bedroom (making nap time somewhat annoying), b) move our bedroom to the main floor for an indeterminate period of time or c) find a bassinet that someone ACTUALLY likes that doesn't fall apart/have crappy support. While cute, I've completely ruled out the Moses basket, since baby does not need a Basie napping companion.

I get emails from Pea in the Pod, and was just disgusted at this last one. Look at this woman. I think stripper heels are inappropriate for most women -- not the least of which, pregnant women:



I can barely walk around in slippers without tripping.

OK, I think we're done for today.

How far along? 20 weeks.
Total weight gain/loss: About 6 pounds (although it feels like 80).
Maternity clothes? Next week is "casual" all week at work. I severely lack work-appropriate casual maternity clothes. I smell shopping.
Stretch marks? Still none - yet.
Sleep: I somehow made it until 6 a.m. this morning without having to go to the bathroom.
Best moment this week: Seeing Bug again.
Movement: Yes, but we're Olympic gymnast one day, and couch potato the next.
Food cravings: Noodles
Gender: Girl!
Belly button in or out? Still innie, but getting shallower.
Labor Signs: No.
What I miss: Running, ESPECIALLY this time of year :(
What I am looking forward to: Getting through next week at work with no incidents!
Weekly Wisdom: Gas is not a force to be reckoned with.
Milestones: Halfway there!

1 comment:

  1. I knew bug was a girl. I just knew it. What's her name???
    Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete