Saturday morning I had to run solo because BFF's sister was in town. I bought myself some new running shoes with my babysitting money (what am I, 14???) and decided to try them out on my long run. This can be a very stupid idea, as one should generally run in new shoes for the first time for much shorter distances, but these shoes are pretty amazing, and I lucked out that they felt great the whole time.
We've been working on the tricycle with mixed success. We live in a really hilly neighborhood, so we don't do it very often around our house, and it's kind of an awkward pain to bring along. But we brought it with us this time and tried again.
The biggest problem is her tricycle, which is the model with the removable handle. The pedals can "coast" which means that when she loses momentum, she's done, and then she gets mad (the last second of the video is pretty indicative of how most of it went). We'll get there.
So after three minutes of bike practice, we moved on to the playground.
Bug is running around, up and down the slides, in the sand, on the springy animals, etc, when all of a sudden she walks over to the sidewalk and yells out, "SHOULD WE DO PUSHUPS??"
I was simultaneously amused, proud, embarrassed and horrified. She watches me exercise every day, so I shouldn't be so surprised that she wants to imitate it. And I know she does it because she loves to do everything that I do, so it's not as if she has some sort of unhealthy obsession about it (please let her not pick that up from me, at least yet...), but she's not even THREE yet. Gah!
Of course, I had to join her.
I guess she may have gotten her long legs from my half.
The people on the bench in the background thought this whole thing was pretty funny, and it was, certainly. If you ever get a chance to see Bug do this in person, she actually has better form than a lot of adults I know, and will soon surpass me in repetitions.
On our way to the car, we stopped in the field for some ab work. I seriously have created such a monster.
Oh, and we had to bring the scooter, too.
Later, after nap, we headed over to Toys 'R Us so Bug could spend her gift card from Uncle Sam. That store is SO OVERWHELMING. We generally watch PBS (no commercials) so 95% of these toys are completely foreign to me. Walking in there gives me the same feeling that I get when I walk into Michael's with no plan.
She ended up picking out an awesome new soccer ball, which has already served its purpose of being an excellent disciplinary bribe 10 times over since Saturday. "IF YOU DO NOT ________, THEN I AM PUTTING THE SOCCER BALL IN TIME OUT."
I almost let her sleep with it. Almost.
Sunday we drove up to Encinitas to a playground right on the beach that I remembered from one of my long runs a few months ago. Turns out the bathrooms were under major reconstruction, so there was all sorts of construction chaos going on.... which sort of sucked.
Bug struggled a bit on the playground because it was new and unfamiliar. Since her surgery she has gotten so much more confident at her "regular" playgrounds, but that's probably due in part to familiar obstacles suddenly becoming more clear.
So we played soccer instead.
We walked down to the beach shortly after. Just 25 miles north and the sand feels completely different than the sand on the beaches right near our house.
She had been talking all morning about going in the water and building sand castles. This beach, in addition to having coarser sand, had big, flat stones everywhere (I thought they looked like river stones, except we were at the ocean). Bug spotted one and it quickly became "hers." Then she spotted another similar looking one closer to the water, and even though she was still holding the first one, became very distressed about "her rock" and then when a wave washed over it she completely lost her mind, crying inconsolably. We were at a loss.
We eventually coaxed her back up (there was this odd "cliff" of sand) to where the towels were to play, but she never seemed to really relax again. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, and I got some pictures at least. Not that any of you really care or notice, but apologies that the photos are all edited a bit differently -- I've been playing in Lightroom and can't come to a consensus on what I like best for beach pictures.
This was before the first rock sighting.
Jumping. I love this picture.
"Where'd my rock go?!!??"
Nervous about the water for some reason.
I made it into a picture!!! P.S. The sand really was black in areas.
Sifting sand like Super Grover.
Playing catch with Matt (hands)
Did I mention the weather was great?
Love this picture. Actually taken with my phone.
Then when we were done we walked to a frozen yogurt place in "downtown" Encinitas. It was the best frozen yogurt I have ever had, ever ever ever. I would make the half hour drive again JUST to eat this frozen yogurt.
It's like a food group to her now.
Yesterday we were back at class, and afterward she was getting bold at the playground. She's really into jumping off of things (lie - she's really into MOVING, EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME, NONSTOP).
I'm hoping this translates into a willingness to jump into the pool soon.
Today while she was at school, I had to go to the dentist. I hate going to the dentist, but not because I find it physically painful or scary. The part I hate is that I always feel like such a terrible, horrible human being whenever there's something wrong with my teeth. I've been very lax lately on the good oral care, and it has bitten me in the butt. Part of a molar chipped off a month or so ago, and I sort of ignored it because it didn't hurt or bother me, and then I forgot about it, and it turns out that it has decay (of course, what doesn't) and I will need a crown on it. Oh, and I have like eleventy billion other cavities. I know the dentist is actually glad he has $$patients$$$$ like me who have $hit that goe$ wrong in their mouth$$$$ because, you know, it ain't cheap. Ugh. I wanted to cry running home (yes, I ran there, because I only have a finite amount of time where I am alone on Tuesdays, and I must maximize it!) because I felt like such a worthless scab. Blah. JUST FLOSS MORE. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. And maybe eat less Tootsie Rolls, but that could probably help other things, too.
(P.S. To my husband who related a story to me he heard on NPR about dentists, and how they had a reporter go to ten or so different dentists for an exam where said reporter was told basically ten dramatically different things, from "you need a root canal," to "your teeth are perfectly fine," you are not helping.)
Matt picked up Bug from school while I picked up the house because someone from Regional Center was coming over to re-do Bug's IFSP after they screwed up and let it expire.
Apparently Bug had her first visit to the school nurse after falling on her face at the playground. It looks like a pretty good scrape, and I'm sure she was pretty hysterical, so I'm surprised they didn't call me, seeing as how I've gotten phone calls before. Either way, she survived (of course).
She wasn't really bothered, and was more annoyed that she had to sit still for a picture.
She scratched the hell out of her glasses, though. Ugh. For anyone who thinks kids' glasses are less expensive than adults, you are wrong wrong wrong. Even without the AR coating (they don't usually put them on kids' lenses because it's so hard to keep clean) her lenses cost more than mine. I'd been holding out recently on replacing them (they offer a kind of "warranty" where you can order new ones at a reduced cost, which we have done already once before) even though they were pretty scratched up, because she's due for another exam in a few weeks. I guess it's better that I didn't before, because then it would have been even more wallet insulting, but now her lenses are even MORE hacked up. Whatever.
It clearly did not slow her down this afternoon after she woke up.
Although they are a bit distorted from the iPhone camera lens, those are indeed SIZE ELEVEN shoes.






















No comments:
Post a Comment